Eat your carbs!!
Yes, you heard right. If you want to become vegan and stay on this lifestyle then you mustn’t be afraid of carbohydrates! It may take you a while to get used to but good carbohydrates will be your saviour and they will keep you happy and healthy. Carbohydrates “ignite the fat burning flame”, i.e. to burn fat you need carbohydrates in the body. This was a quote and one of the most valuable points I took from my nutrition classes.
People go from diet to diet and cutting carbs seem to be top of the list all of the time; ever wonder why the diet doesn’t work for very long? It’s because the body is under carbed, starving and under nourished so craves carbohydrates. If we keep our tummies full of good carbs then you won’t need to go reaching for the sugary doughnuts and chocolate bars (i.e. bad carbs)!
A few benefits of good carbs:
- The body’s main source of energy!!
- High in fibre to keep you full, energized, and stools regular.
- Lowers cholesterol
- Low glycaemic index: stabilizing blood sugars and insulin production
- Provides body with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes.
- Promotes long term weight loss and weight management
- Stimulates metabolism and promotes fat loss (“ignites the fat burning flame”)
Dangers of cutting carbs:
- Low energy
- Body uses protein and fat for energy instead
- Reduced fibre intake resulting in constipation and blocked digestive system
- Replacing carbs with meat and dairy products increases saturated fat intake leading to high cholesterol and heart disease
- Using stored fat for energy results in Ketosis, resulting in: weakness, headaches, dehydration and irritability
To keep you healthy ensure that you eat plenty of the following list of Good Carbs:
- Bread (wholegrain, rye, brown sourdough)
- Lots and lots of fruit! (perfect for on the run and fast food options)
- Frozen fruits (think smoothies and porridge)
- Green leafy vegetables (the best and queens of good carbs)
- Whole vegetables in general
- Dates (deliciously sweet and high calorie to keep you full and satisfied – essential!)
Eat until you are full! Good carbohydrates will be the bulk of your meals and do not skip them because you will feel extremely hungry, under satisfied and unhappy. Yay to feeling good!