If you are transitioning into Veganism, hello and welcome 🙂 I am here to try and help make the transition an easy one for you because it can be difficult at first and it doesn’t need to be!
Before turning fully vegan I had researched it on and off for about three years and ate a lot of vegan recipes so when I tried Veganuary I thought it would be a doddle; how wrong was I? I failed miserably (literally) and lasted just one day! I lasted just this one day because I really didn’t know what meals to eat each and every day and found that I was thinking way too much about it and stressed myself out. Not only that, I think I gave up so quickly because my heart wasn’t truly in it and I didn’t know the shocking facts behind the meat and dairy industry as well as the nutritional benefits of the lifestyle (videos I recommend: Cowspiracy, 101 Reasons to Go Vegan, Gary Yourofsky’s Best Speech You’ll Ever Hear. Books: Starch Solution).
So, my first piece of advice would be go and check out my blog post: Store Cupboard Essentials. This will give you an idea of all vegan products you can stock up on in your pantry and which are staples for this lifestyle. On top of that I recommend stocking up on lots of fruit and vegetables too. Fruits are great for quick grab and go food; fruits that last a longer period of time: apples, bananas, grapes and pears. Vegetables are great for bulking up a meal as well as providing lots of nutrition too of course.
Secondly, go check out: Tips for eating out as a Vegan. This page will give you ideas to make you less stressed when eating out as a vegan also.
Lastly, read this long list of foods that are surprisingly vegan. I do advise eating a whole foods plant-based diet for optimal health, however when transitioning this can be difficult so it’s good to know which foods are actually vegan to help you ease into it at your own pace.
- Rich tea biscuits
- Ginger nuts
- Bourbons (chocolate Bourbons, yes. They’re Vegan)
- Jammie Dodgers
- Chocolate Chip Hobnobs (yes, really)
- Crawford’s Pink Wafers
- Lotus Original Caramelised biscuits
- Fox’s Party Rings
- Cadbury Bournville Plain Chocolate
- Green and Blacks – Dark Chocolate, Lemon, Mint, Espresso
- Flying saucers
Crisps (lots are vegan so just check the packaging but to name a few):
- Walkers: Prawn cocktail (yes), Ready Salted, Salt and Vinegar, Worchester Sauce
- Doritos: Lightly salted, Chilli Heatwave
- Pringles: Smokey Bacon (yes), Original, BBQ, Paprika
- Skips: Prawn cocktail
- McCoy’s: Ultimate Sizzling BBQ Chicken, Salt & Malt Vinegar, Ultimate Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Ritz: crackers
- Nairns: rough oat cakes
- Jacobs: cream crackers
- Cliff: Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Nākd bars
- Trek: Peanut Power, Berry Burst, Original Oat Flapjack, Cocoa Chaos, Cocoa Coconut Flapjack
- 9bar: Peanut
Plant based milks:
- Shredded wheat
- Rice Krispies
- Honey Monster Puffs
- Coco Caramel Shreddies
- Chocolate Chip Wheetabix
- Chocolate Cheerios
- Mars chocolate drink
- Nut butters: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter etc
- Marmite (Great for B12!!)
Side note: Quorn is NOT VEGAN!! It contains Milk and Eggs.
This is just a list of a few I found through PETA and through general research. I didn’t list the obvious items such as rice, beans, veggies etc because you can find that though my older posts but these are just a few for when you want something different. I hope this helps you out and if you have any other questions I can help with just ask me and I will do my best J Happy eating Vegan Lovelies!!